RFI

Re: [RFI] Local RFI...

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Local RFI...
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2016 13:18:51 -0700
Check the ARRL website for info about arc-fault interrupters. Some are known to have RFI issues.

You may be setting them off simply because the TX antenna is closer to their wiring, or because there's an issue with the counterpoise for that antenna.

As to the computer issues -- some computers are better/worse than others with respect to RFI. RFI is coupled both on internal wiring due to poor circuit layout and inadequate shielding, and also on external wiring due to poor circuit design practices inside equipment like "The Pin One Problem." RFI pickup on external wiring can be reduced by the use of suitable common mode chokes. RFI pickup on internal wiring usually cannot be fixed -- the product must be replaced.

This tutorial on killing receive noise includes specific winding recommendations for ferrite chokes that kill RF current on small diameter cables. While the tutorial is written for RX noise in our radios, the chokes do the same thing for current induced in those cables by our transmitters. In essence, the cables are acting as antennas -- they transmit the noise FROM the noise source, and they receive the RF that we transmit and couple it to the poorly designed product.

http://k9yc.com/KillingReceiveNoise.pdf

73, Jim K9YC