RFI

[RFI] CATV Frequencies for Leakage Probes

To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] CATV Frequencies for Leakage Probes
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 13:42:14 -0700
I'm working on updates to the ARRL Handbook, and would like to provide frequencies for carriers that can be used to probe for cable leakage. The idea is to allow a portable RX (like a talkie with wideband RX) or a mobile rig to probe along a system.

A Rigol looking at my drop from the Comcast system here in NorCal shows a strong carrier at about 67.2 MHz (-41 dBm), and another around 133.23 MHz (-48 dBm). Everything else is around -70 dBm. (I buy only internet and basic cable, so I see nothing below 67.2 MHz. Comcast discontinued un-scrambled QAM several years ago when the FCC voted to allow them to do so.)

Can anyone provide info about other systems commonly in use?

Thanks and 73, Jim K9YC