RFI

[RFI] Station ground - more

To: RFI@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Station ground - more
From: "Kenneth G. Gordon" <kgordon2006@frontier.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 09:37:24 -0700
For instance, when I was wiring our new addition, the wiring included a
sub-panel,
connected to the main panel by a run of #00 4 wire cable. With the assistance
of our
youngest son, we drove an 8' ground rod directly under the sub-panel with the
thought that I
had to connect that to the sub-panel's ground lug.

Yet I was told by the electrical inspector that this was NOT allowed, but that
we had to run a
separate ground wire from the sub-panel at least 30 feet to the main-panel's
ground lug and
connect them together there.

I was also told that the ground-rods we drove (3 ea 8 footers, separated by at
least 6 feet
and all tied together) must be the ONLY such ground system in the entire home,
and that
every grounded item in the entire home must be connected to that and only to
that.

So, why the apparent discrepancy?

For one thing, I suspect that the ~30' long ground wire from the sub-panel to
the main panel
is conducting RF, especially on 40 meters, into some of the electrical
appliances in the new
addition. I also believe that the present ground system in the shack is not
adequate, since at
present it is only being connected to the panel-ground through the green
grounding wires of
the electrical service.

Ken W7EKB

---