RFI

Re: [RFI] Regular birdies

To: "Gary@ka1j.com" <Gary@ka1j.com>, "RFI@contesting.com" <RFI@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Regular birdies
From: JW via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 00:07:52 +0000 (UTC)
Gary,

I tracked down a "wavering carrier" I had on 160 meters to a residence 1.9
miles away to my north. This is in a city/suburban environment over relatively
flat, but conductive (30 mS North Texas) earth. I make mention of this ONLY to
give some idea of how far away these noise sources or signals can be! I notice
you have 'humanity' (houses or homes on lots) west of you out past the airport
about two miles or so distant.

I tracked two other such "carriers" to two other discrete residences to my SSW
and W at about 3700 ft and 4200 ft respectively. I have been out with different
gear at different times to confirm this, using different receivers (including
DF receivers) as well (i.e., I can circle the block and the DF antennas
continue to indicate a specific residence). These 'carriers' are also
receivable in the 80 meter band.

Here is a sample of the carrier at it appears on 80 meters (it makes kind of a
tea kettle whistle sound):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkHt5iS9WIM

I think you are going to have to track this down (the 'hard', old school way)
as you indicted in your previous post in order to next identify the source.

73, Jim WB5WPA