RFI

[RFI] Mobile K3s/P3 RX only?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Mobile K3s/P3 RX only?
From: Jim Miller <jim@jtmiller.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2016 13:57:19 -0500
I'm trying to put together an RFI hunting package with my SDRPlay and HDSDR
running on a tablet. The software runs fine but is a bit clunky on a
tablet. Several settings still require a bluetooth mouse. The biggest
problem is holding the tablet with the SDR velcro'd to the back remains too
close to the DF antenna resulting in pickup. I've got a metal case for the
SDR on order which may or may not fix this.

In case it doesn't work out I may try to fall back to my K3s/P3 and run it
mobile in RX only mode in my car. Any reason a simple accessory plug
(cigarette lighter) to a PowerPole won't serve this purpose. The other
choice is a full laptop with HDSDR on it for easier use with the SDRPlay.
The SDR/HDSDR combo does offer wider RF coverage and the very nice audio
spectrum analyzer to see the details at the chosen frequency. Very handy
for seeing 120hz arcing and harmonics.

I'm doing a rundown test right now on a gel cell I could also use but I'd
rather have as little equipment to carry around as possible.

I would be stopping and turning off the car at each measurement location.
Antenna would be my National RF DF loop with the appropriate loop
installed. I'd use a relatively long coax from the loop to the car interior
to get away from the metal.

Thoughts?

jim ab3cv