RFI

Re: [RFI] Re-wiring station

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Re-wiring station
From: Dave Cole <dave@nk7z.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2017 05:16:36 -0800
Hi,

I set up the grounding first, then power, then signal, then all the extra stuff in wiring my station...

As I set up each extra device, I would do a check for RFI. I also kept all types of wiring separate, (power, signal, control, etc), and never ran power parallel with signal in the same run, or if run at a different location, a ground was between them.

I use a UPS to power all radio gear, and pretty much everything that comes in contact with the radio, via a single distribution point. That is clean power.

I also have dirty power, which comes from the same outlet, but not via the UPS, for anything I feel I can put there. Things like the 2 meter rig, the cable modem, a few external drives, etc... Things that don't get too close to the radio electrically.

I don't run the power for them in the same bundle either. There are two levels in the back of the desk for power distribution, one is clean, and one is dirty power. I also have a slug of ferrite material back there on every single power and signal line. All RF cables between equipment are left naked as far as ferrite's are concerned.

I think the single best thing I did to remove RFI was to get rid of all the 12 volt wall bugs...

I use 12V from a clean, high current, power supply, and a West Mountain Power pole distribution device. I put ferrite's on everything going into and out of the West Mountain box. West Mountain builds RFI suppression into the device as well. The day I did that, is the day most of my locally generated RFI ended.

If I had to pick a single action for locally generated RFI, it would be to replace every single wall wart with a single clean 12 V supply, adding ferrite material to everything connected to it.

73s and thanks,
Dave
NK7Z
http://www.nk7z.net