RFI

Re: [RFI] A "new" RFI

To: JW <jwin95@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] A "new" RFI
From: "Kenneth G. Gordon" <kgordon2006@frontier.com>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2017 15:53:06 -0700
On 2 May 2017 at 11:57, JW wrote:

> Good point Ken/LBI.
>
> Ken W7EKB, what time did this start last night?

I don't remember exactly, but some time around 9:00 PM

> And, did it cut off this morning?

No.

I had to go to a meeting in Lewiston with my wife and one of our daughters,
about 30 miles
away, today, and we only returned about 1:30 PM or so.

I went to the shack about 2:00 or so, and found the noise still there.

I did some testing, finding the noise on 80, 40, and 20, then went back to 40
meters to
attempt to send some digital traffic to one of our hub stations.

Shortly after I began to do that, the noise changed character, becoming
interspersed with
pops and crackles, then suddenly quit!!!

I passed the traffic successfully.

I am now going to go get some batteries for my small DF receiver, and start
making some
charts on which I can write the necessary data, time, frequencies, directions,
etc.

I built one of Tom Thompson's link-coupled-loops a couple of years ago and will
use it with
my FT-890 in our car as soon as I can.

I also have a working Stoddart NM-20B "Noise and Interference Meter" which I
will use
when it becomes necessary. The only trouble with the Stoddart is that it takes
a good 30
minutes to set it up for each reading, but it works so well, that effort is
worthwhile.

I'll keep the forum informed once I get at it, and thanks for the advice and
concern. It is very
nice to have this wonderful resource.

vy 73 for now,

Ken W7EKB