RFI

[RFI] Is My Radio Possessed?

To: RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Is My Radio Possessed?
From: N4ZR <n4zr@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 10:32:24 -0400
73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
at <http://reversebeacon.net>, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.

Looking for an explanation for a weird experience I recently had, which *may* fall in the category of RFI.

I was tuning my K3 across 40M CW during theWAE CW contest, while at the same time watching the band using HDSDR with my QS1R, which was also running CWSL_Tee and both CW and RTTY Skimservs. The QS1R's antenna was being split off the K3's external antenna loop.

I noticed on the HDSDR waterfall what looked like SSB signals, way down in 40 CW (one even below the band edge). Curious, I tuned several of them in on HDSDR. All were obviously hams, and I inferred from what they said that they were on 40 phone. Even weirder, the signals were on upper sideband!

After a few minutes of this, I shut down both Skimservs and turned my attention back to the contest. When I returned a few minutes later, HDSDR showed NO SSB signals at all down in the CW band, even with the two Skimservs restarted. It has not recurred.