RFI

Re: [RFI] Recommend a Small Low-RFI Inverter?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Recommend a Small Low-RFI Inverter?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2017 16:53:52 -0700
On 9/30/2017 11:46 AM, Kenneth G. Gordon wrote:
Samlex, pure-sine-wave inverter. Get the model(s) which are specified as low or
no RFI. I bought a 300 watt version (don't have the model number handy) and am
very pleased with it.

Hi Ken,

I do NOT share your experience with these inverters. I bought Samlex's smallest PST-series unit to power the logging computer for our 7QP county mobile operation. I was able to make it quiet enough, but it needed a LOT of ferrite cores  to do it. Another member of our team bought one of the bigger PST units, (maybe the 300W version) and we were not able to make it quiet enough. The thing that makes it hard is that the antennas are VERY close to the inverter, and any trash on the power wiring roars into the antenna.

Slide # 213 in the link below

http://k9yc.com/KillingRXNoiseVisalia.pdf

shows what I had to do to make the PST-120-12 quiet enough to use in the mobile with a hamstick on the back. The top two chokes (the largest ones) were not needed for 20M/40M in the mobile, but were needed to keep the noise out of the 160M vertical about 30 ft from my operating desk at home. The smaller chokes with 4-5 turns are for 40 and 20, the single-turn clamp-ons are for 2M.

Noise is, of course, a matter of degree. We were operating from very quiet places in the middle of nowhere, where the local noise is S1. If you're using the inverter in an urban environment (or in a noisy vehicle) where the noise level is S9+, you're less likely to hear the noise from the inverter.

73, Jim K9YC