RFI

Re: [RFI] Leased Solar Panels: Operator Responsibility?

To: "'Tony'" <dxdx@optonline.net>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Leased Solar Panels: Operator Responsibility?
From: "Randy Standke" <r55stan@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 08:41:41 -0800
I would suggest that every amateur radio operator experiencing interference
from SolarEdge complain to the ARRL and the FCC.  If we do nothing, current and
future radio amateurs will lose the HF bands to irresponsible equipment
manufacturers.  Email Mike Gruber at the ARRL mgruber@arrl.org, email Laura
Smith at the FCC Laura.Smith@fcc.gov and use the FCC on line complaint form
https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

The fact that the optimizers generate RFI from solar panel power, and therefore
would be inconvenient to the operator to turn off, does not justify ignoring
the problem.  From Part 15 “The operator of a system that causes harmful
interference to licensed radio service (i.e. Amateur Radio) must cease
operation until the problem is corrected at the operator’s expense.”  In this
case the solar panels could be covered with dark tarps to stop their
interference.  They can stay covered until SolarEdge comes out and fixes that
system.

Randy KQ6RS