RFI

[RFI] Low Freq Observation of Earths Oscillations on Ocean Bottom Seismo

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Low Freq Observation of Earths Oscillations on Ocean Bottom Seismometers 121217
From: WD8ARZ <wd8arz@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 10:28:19 -0500
First Observation of the Earths Permanent Free Oscillations on Ocean Bottom Seismometers - Wonder of some upper harmonics get felt or heard by human's? Especially if fluid in their ear(s) .... rumors suggest some animals can perceive such 'sounds' ..... Would any of you consider this RFI? ;-)

https://www.livescience.com/61154-earth-hum-recorded-underwater.htmlEarth's Mysterious Hum Recorded Underwater for 1st Time 12/11/17

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2017GL074892/abstractFirst Observation of the Earth's Permanent Free Oscillations on Ocean Bottom Seismometers  11/14/17

   Abstract

The Earth's hum is the permanent free oscillations of the Earth recorded in the absence of earthquakes, at periods above 30 s. We present the first observations of its fundamental spheroidal eigenmodes on broadband ocean bottom seismometers (OBSs) in the Indian Ocean. At the ocean bottom, the effects of ocean infragravity waves (compliance) and seafloor currents (tilt) overshadow the hum. In our experiment, data are also affected by electronic glitches. We remove these signals from the seismic trace by subtracting average glitch signals; performing a linear regression; and using frequency-dependent response functions between pressure, horizontal, and vertical seismic components. This reduces the long period noise on the OBS to the level of a good land station. Finally, by windowing the auto correlation to include only the direct arrival, the first and second orbits around the Earth, and by calculating its Fourier transform, we clearly observe the eigenmodes at the ocean bottom.