RFI

Re: [RFI] Noise location tools

To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noise location tools
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 13:06:29 -0800
Searching at VHF works if it's impulse noise, but not if it's electronic noise. Power lines are the major source of impulse noise; nowadays, much (most?) of the noise we hear is electronic noise, and most of that is from switching power supplies, solar systems, and variable speed motor controllers. That loopstick AM radio IS useful for both, but in different ways. When you put it close to an SMPS, you'll hear hash. My quick test to confirm whether a wall wart is linear or switching is to put the loop in the base of my TH-F6A next to it.

73, Jim K9YC