RFI

Re: [RFI] Noise location tools

To: wd8dsb@gmail.com, dave@nk7z.net
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noise location tools
From: jimk8mr--- via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 13:01:04 -0500
An ultrasonic dish is nice as a way to verify that it is a power line issue,
and confirming that it is a specific pole. But in practice I don't expect the
power company to fix anything without first verifying the problem. A VHF/UHF AM
radio is the way to go.

I like to look for noise in my suburban location (once I have a beam heading
from home) by riding my bicycle with my Yaesu VX3R listening on 2 meters, AM.
If I hear noise (other than the tire static which I often have) I switch to
432, which gets me within a pole or so. I then have a small (5L) 432 yagi I
switch to for pointing at suspected sources. If necessary I put the ultrasonic
dish in the car and drive to the bad pole.

The bike is nice because I can easily stop, turn around, etc., while covering a
good bit of territory. The downside is that it isn't so good up north at this
time of year   :-)

73  -  Jim  K8MR