RFI

Re: [RFI] Low Voltage Lighting Questions

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Low Voltage Lighting Questions
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2018 11:41:46 -0700
On 3/30/2018 10:54 AM, Jim Stahl via RFI wrote:
Is 12 volts DC a common or standard low voltage level? What is the approximate
DC current per bulb, i.e. if I were to replace the RFI generating switching
supply with a linear supply, how big of a supply would normally be needed?

I can answer part of this. I'm lighting my shack with five strips of LEDs powered from the shack's 12V system (a float-charged Costco deep discharge battery). Together they draw about 1.2A I have two of these strips mounted behind me on a room divider to illuminate my computer desk for reading print. They're fed by a linear wart rated 12V/500mA, and the wart is barely warm to the touch.

https://www.wiredco.com/LED_Strip_Light_12_Volts_SMT_Cool_White_20_p/ledbar1.htm

https://www.wiredco.com/LED_Lighting_Low_Voltage_s/1874.htm

This company has been at west coast hamfests for at least 5 years. In general, their electronics stuff is crap (noisy SMPS, a USB FM modulator that spews noise sidebands, crummy knock-off connectors and patch cables), but the lighting that doesn't include power supplies is very nice.

And this observation. Depending on how dimming is accomplished, it could also be adding noise to what the SMPS is producing. My guess is that you'll need ferrite chokes on wiring between the PSU and the AC line. The good news is that the current is quite low, especially on the 120V side, so small conductors on small cores can be used. If you're going to build something to fit inside an existing fixture, be sure to use wire with insulation rated for use on AC mains.

If you would like some design help with chokes, shoot me a private email and we can talk about it.

73, Jim K9YC