RFI

Re: [RFI] solar panel filters

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] solar panel filters
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 18:58:08 -0700
On 4/12/2018 4:02 PM, David Eckhardt wrote:
Ferrites are better suited at reducing RFI at 30 MHz than low HF.  I am far
more concerned about 160, 80, and 40-meters, and of course, 20.1 MHz that
30 MHz.

Not even slightly true!  I suggest that you study k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf    I'm currently working on a major update of recommended chokes for use below 10 MHz, extending recommendations to the new 630M band, and providing more detailed plots of choking Z, Rs, and Xs .

  Inverters and built-in or added after the fact optimizers produce
less and less energy as the frequency is increased.  Ferrites become less
and less effective as the frequency is decreased.  Yes, there are special
mixes of ferrites that are effective at lower frequencies, but not easily
available from your corner store.

Not all that difficult to find if you know what you're looking for. My website includes Fair-Rite part numbers for useful parts and a list of vendors. There's an update to that list in my more recent tutorial on chasing and killing receive noise. k9yc.com/publish.htm   Another ham recently pointed me to Arrow Electronics as a good source for small quantity orders -- decent prices on stuff they stock and free shipping for a $20 order.

73, Jim K9YC