RFI

Re: [RFI] can anyone help identify this RFI spectrum?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] can anyone help identify this RFI spectrum?
From: "Dave Cole (NK7Z)" <dave@nk7z.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2018 06:02:28 -0700
Looks like s SMPS, (Switching mode Power Supply), and could be any number of things...

Start by doing a power off test of your own home, putting your radio on battery power first. If the RFI continues, (after the power is off), then the source is probably not at your home, if it goes away, then the source is probably at your home.

Make sure to kill all UPS, and battery power devices during this test. If it is in your home it will be pretty easy to locate by bringing up the power one circuit at a time, until you hear the RFI start. If it is not at your house, then there is another process for location... Ask here once you have narrowed RFI generation to you or someone else.

I have a set of RFI images located at:

https://www.nk7z.net/rfi-snapshots/

which breaks up various RFI sources and presents them as see by SDR.

If you locate the source, I would like a screen shot of the RFI, and exactly what caused it for that page please.

Also, become familiar with Jim's (K9YC), work located at:

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

and

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/publish.htm

Jim's work is invaluable in learning how to stop RFI issues once located..

73s and thanks,
Dave
NK7Z
https://www.nk7z.net