RFI

Re: [RFI] Recommendation needed: Whole house surge protection

To: ericrosenberg.dc@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Recommendation needed: Whole house surge protection
From: Steve Kurtzman <stevew7sjk@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 18:01:36 +0000
UL calls them Surge Protective Devices or SPDs (formerly TVSS).  Common
heavy duty commercial mfrs are Liebert, APD, APC, Eaton, Siemens, GE and
Square D but you probably don't want to spend that kind of money.  It's
like insurance.  How much is enough?

They are separated into Categories A, B and C with 'C' being the service
entrance panel and 'A' being the receptacle or power strip.   I've seen all
of the these submitted on (commercial) projects but have no recommendations.

http://www.ecmweb.com/power-quality/understanding-surge-protective-device-ratings

RE previous posts:
A whole-house protector won't protect against direct lightning strikes or
sustained overvoltage caused by HV lines touching 120/240V lines

73
Steve W7SJK