RFI

Re: [RFI] Noisy LED shop lights

To: Dale Johnson <dj2001x@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noisy LED shop lights
From: "John K9UWA" <john@johnjeanantiqueradio.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2018 12:32:20 -0400
Sunco also offers the 48" bulbs for replacement into existing fixtures.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunco-Lighting-Pack-Fluorescent-Replacement/d
p/B0163D7CP8

These are DIRECT WIRE bulbs. In other words remove the ballast and
throw it away. In many cases the ballasts make noise and as they get older
they make more noise. It takes about 10 minutes to remove the ballast and
rewire the fixture for direct 120vac to the bulbs.

Caution there are also other companies who make these Direct Wire bulbs
but they themselves cause RFI. The key is that all of the bulbs have a built
in switcher supply and some of the companies have cut the corners with that
part of their product... no filtering

For the last couple years I have been buying a 48" Direct Wire Bulb made by
ThinkLux and they to are nice and quiet. But the last couple times I went
looking to buy more of them everyone was out of that bulb.

In this house alone between the workshop garage kitchen and some indirect
lighting fixtures I had over 40 of these 48" 4 foot bulbs I replaced. That
brought the RFI noise down a considerable amount between the ballasts
being removed and the new no noise LED direct wire bulbs.

John k9uwa

>  solved the RFI from shop lights.  I took the noise makers down boxed them up
>  and returned and told them these lights interfered with my shortwave radio.
>
> Then ordered four more of the SuncoTMs.
>
> Dale, K9VUJ
>

> On 13, Jun 2018, at 14:30, Mike King - KM0T <scsueepe@mtcnet.net> wrote:
>
> Great to hear, no pun intended.  I have 18 in one large garage and 6 in an
> other, I too am glad they are quiet...
>
> 73
>
> Mike - KM0T

John Goller, K9UWA & Jean Goller, N9PXF