RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI from variable speed swimming pool pumps

To: "'Don Kirk'" <wd8dsb@gmail.com>, <jimk8mr@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI from variable speed swimming pool pumps
From: "Randy Standke" <r55stan@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2018 21:49:02 -0700
Input line filters can help a great deal.  In addition, some type of filtering
on the ground wire may also be needed because the line filters don't filter the
ground wire.  A large clamp on ferrite over all the power wires will also
filter the ground.  First try the line filter.  If you still have RFI try
adding the ferrite.  I have a dishwasher and eliminating all the RFI took a lot
of work.  I had installed a line filter, but the RFI was not completely gone.
It occurred to me that the ground wire is directly connected to the chassis,
and perhaps the long run through the house is making a great antenna.  A
Fair-Rite 0431164181 over the Romex (neutral, ground, hot) was my last step and
eliminated the remaining RFI.

Something else to consider with RFI is if there are any wires coming into the
device in addition to power.  My heater unit has a variable speed motor and was
making RFI.  A line filter helped.  Ferrite over the power cable helped a
little more.  The final step to cure it was a ferrite on the cable to the
thermostat.  RFI was coupling on to the thermostat cable and with a length of
about 20 feet made a great antenna.

Randy KQ6RS