RFI

Re: [RFI] REQUEST FOR INFORMATION

To: James Jordan <k4qpl2@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] REQUEST FOR INFORMATION
From: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2018 23:56:31 +0000
The 40 uF section measured only 8 uF.  It was truly bad.  I'm going to open
up the AC unit, note the ratings, and take a trip to Granger in Fort
Collins.  Half the diameter certainly leads me to believe its Chinese with
compromised dielectric which may be breaking down.

With all the RFI in the world of today and being unable to wake up FCC,
I've tried my absolute best to keep it away from this house.  Something
like this just frosts my gonads!

Dave - WØLEV

On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 11:51 PM, James Jordan <k4qpl2@gmail.com> wrote:

> If the only problem was a bad starting capacitor, my guess is you got a
> defective capacitor that is arc'ing. Call the service man back to try
> another one. If he just changed the capacitor because that is the usual
> problem, the capacitor replacement may have unmasked another problem that
> he didn't find,.
>
> On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 7:37 PM, David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Generally air conditioners are pretty beneign.  However, ours quit and it
>> turned out to be the motor starting capacitor resulting in the compressor
>> not running.  The capacitor that replaced the original was roughly half
>> the
>> diameter of the original, but otherwise, ratings were the same.
>>
>> Since the replacement, it is generating a horrible amount of spikey RFI
>> throughout HF.  ZZZzzzzzzit.......ZZzzzzzzit......ZZZzzzzit..... at
>> about a
>> 2 Hz rate for each pair of ZZZzzzzit's.  Best I can do.  Has anyone
>> experienced this?  Has China found a nasty RFI generator to replace a
>> lowly
>> motor starting capacitor?
>>
>> --
>>
>> *Dave - WØLEV*