RFI

Re: [RFI] Solar Panel RFI in Kings Park, NY - Update

To: Tony <dxdx@optonline.net>, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Solar Panel RFI in Kings Park, NY - Update
From: Tony Brock-Fisher via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 16:00:31 -0400
From my testing, the optimizers internal switchers continue to run (at 200kHz) anytime the optimizer gets power from the panel - therefore during daylight hours. This noise exits the optimizers on both the panel leads as well as the DC output leads. This was the reason I retrofitted my system with the 3-turn bifilar chokes, in between each optimizer and it's panel.

During power generation, the optimizers emit higher levels of noise, from both the panel leads and the output leads, at the 200khZ switching frequency and harmonics, up through 10 meters or higher.

If the DC output leads have already been properly retrofitted with reduced loop area, twisted pair wiring, and chokes, it may now be beneficial to add the 3-turn biifilar chokes to the optimizer input leads. I noticed a significant improvement in noise when I completed this step on my system.

Disconnecting every panel from every optimizer is very labor intensive.  While this experiment might provide conclusive information about the cause of the noise, it won't buy you anything in actual remediation. For the same amount of labor, and a moderate additional materials cost, you can add the 3-turn bifilar chokes to the optimizers, with the likely result of permanently lower noise when the work is completed. This would actually be less labor, as the panels can be lifted one at a time, not requiring they be removed from the roof, as the chokes are added underneath them. Note that this technique has been applied to multiple systems with good results each time.

This is like 'peeling the layers of the onion', and you may need to address several 'layers' before you get the noise down to an acceptable level (which may never get to 'zero noise').

-Tony, K1KP