RFI

Re: [RFI] Christmas light display

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Christmas light display
From: Jeff Blaine <KeepWalking188@ac0c.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2018 20:15:36 -0600
Turns out this was not a Christmas light display, but apparently is a MOV on a pole in front of the guy's house.

Diagnosis and tracking involved driving around looking at signal levels on a PL660 SWL.   Then looking at higher and higher frequencies to try to localize.  I still could not identify a particular pole though.

Next step was to use a MFJ VHF noise detector which allowed me to localize down to a 4 pole location over a 200' area.  The local power company was not motivated to go out and check into it with this level of diagnosis.

So a buddy K3PA brought over his industrial stuff today and we got it nailed down to a single pole which has a pair of MOV. Tools used in that were a 440 yagi with a Yaesu FT817, then a confirmation with a Radar Engineers Ultrasonic/UHF detector.  The guy had an ultrasonic dish but we did not need to use it.

The power company was updated with my single pole diagnosis and today promised they would contact me for repair details in 48 hours.  That would be great and just in time for the SP next weekend!

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com