RFI

Re: [RFI] Bulk order source for Ferrite beads?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Bulk order source for Ferrite beads?
From: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2019 08:06:01 -0700
Jim,

I respectfully disagree with your comment about 61 material cores not being useful at HF.  For transmitting applications they are quite valuable.  The low Q impedance provided by 31 materials is the go to solution for receiving applications but at high power care must be taken to ensure that the impedance is much higher than needed to keep the 31 material from overheating.  This is made even more difficult since the common mode impedance in a circuit is unrelated to the differential mode impedance and calculating what common mode current might flow through the common mode choke is not easy to do.  Of course you can sneak up on the problem by just making the choke and slowly increasing the power at all frequencies you use and see if it gets too hot in your application.  Not very scientific but common mode circuits are elusive to understand and simulate.

Larry, W0QE