RFI

[RFI] tips for finding the source of broadband mixing products

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] tips for finding the source of broadband mixing products
From: Lee STRAHAN <k7tjr@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 17:08:15 +0000

Hi Matt,
   Thanks for the additional information. Even though you are filtering the
harmonics from the source transmitter the SDR if overloaded will generate its
own level of harmonics. Please be very careful if you use a spectrum analyzer
and do NOT connect it to your antenna. There will possibly be enough energy on
the RX antenna to burn out the front end of the spectrum analyzer. No need to
ask me how I know this suffice to say building high level signal generators put
out enough signal level to burn out the old HP spectrum analyzers. At the most
a 4 inch piece of wire (maybe more length if needed) feeding into the analyzer
with a close transmitter will yield plenty of signal for display. The best
advice I can offer is to use a 20 dB pad on the input of the analyzer and leave
it there. Unless of course the analyzer you use is rated for high levels of RF.
Start with small signals and work your way up slowly paying close attention to
the fundamental frequency level and not the harmonics for
  the maximum to connect to the analyzer.
Good luck and be careful.
Lee  K7TJR  OR