RFI

Re: [RFI] What would cause noise like this?

To: "Frank O'Donnell" <vfo@inkbox.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] What would cause noise like this?
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2019 08:08:01 -0400
Hi Frank and gang,

I see lots of folks on the RFI reflector "wondering what an interference
waveform might be from", and honestly after many years of tracking down RFI
I have found that guessing what the source might be is almost counter
productive, except for understanding if the noise source might be power
line noise as that helps me determine what DF gear to pack.  What works
best for me is "boots on the ground', meaning that I get out DF gear (radio
direction finding gear), and then track down the property that's generating
the noise, and then we locate (track down) the offending device within that
property.  I find it much better to keep an open mind regarding what the
source might be.

Just my opinion based on many years of tracking down sources of RFI.
Tracking down RFI has unfortunately become a main part of my ham radio
hobby.

73,
Don (wd8dsb)