RFI

[RFI] FCC Complaint Filing

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] FCC Complaint Filing
From: "N8GLS" <n8gls@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 19:12:31 -0500
I filed an "informal" complaint with the FCC a month ago regarding RFI
emanating from a neighbor's installation of LED Deck Lights done back in May
2019.  I did receive one response that a ticket number was assigned and have
been regularly checking the status but no further "action" yet.  I realize
this may be a fairly long process and may not go anywhere but was curious if
anybody here has ever filed a complaint and if so how long it took before
some indication of status was received ??

A little history:  The interference affects almost the entire 2m band.  This
neighbor was initially cooperative and once I found a solution (a simple
combination of Chokes) I bought and gave him all the chokes needed for the
entire deck as well as offering to install them myself or at least help.  A
reply of "no help needed, I can install myself no problem" gave me an
indication of sincerity ..that was back in July.  These lights have turned
on at dusk and off at about 1am every single day since May.  I politely
called him again the beginning of Oct reminding him the interference was
still emanating from the lights and I would still install if he didn't have
the time.  That call ended with an agitated response of  "its not my
problem" and "I don't believe by merely buying these lights in any way makes
me responsible for anything", followed by "If they were so bad they wouldn't
be sold".  It was clear there was no intention of installing anything at any
time and further conversation about the situation would be fruitless.  Left
with no other solution I filed the informal complaint and included a summary
of the issue, timeline of events and links to a couple videos showing the
interference being received as well as one solution to remedy it.

Frustrating to say the least, and sadly, words like "cooperation",
"politeness", "neighborly" and "respect" don't seem to mean much these days.

73 de Brad, N8GLS