RFI

Re: [RFI] RV Converter Issue

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RV Converter Issue
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2019 12:38:21 -0800
On 12/16/2019 10:41 AM, rrath@charter.net wrote:
I have an issue with my HF radio in my 2019 5th wheel camp trailer. I
have a 100 watt HF radio which I have turned it down to 90 watts out.
Every time I key up

In the ham world, "key down" means you're transmitting a CW carrier. "Key up" means you're receiving.

and transmit I hear noise coming from the
converter.

What is the full name/description of the thing you are calling a "converter?" Is it a 12VDC to 120VAC INVERTER? Such a device is inherently noisy.

I have flipped all the 110volt ac breakers off and pulled
all the 12 volt dc fuses out. I still hear the noise.

Yep, as long as it's running, it will put noise on any wires connected to it, like the 12V bus.

I have put 2 mix
31 snap-on beads on the 12 volt dc lines (2 on both) coming from the
battery to the converter. I put them at the converter. I still hear
the noise.

Not surprising -- just snapping them on won't do anything at all except a bit on 2M. To be effective on HF, multiple turns must be wound through the #31 core. Study http://k9yc.com/KillingReceiveNoise.pdf and http://k9yc.com/KillingRXNoiseVisalia.pdf

I am using a screwdriver antenna.
Any ideas what I need to do to make the converter stop making noise
when I transmit? The noise sounds like relays clicking.

Since we don't know what the "converter" is, it's hard to say. :) Where do you hear the noise -- is it coming through a speaker or headphones, or some audible noise from inside the "converter?"

73, Jim K9YC