RFI

Re: [RFI] Guidance on finding noise?

To: rfi@contesting.com, K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Guidance on finding noise?
From: AA5CT via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 11:51:03 +0000 (UTC)
 Scott,

The marine DF receiver (with the "sense" antenna to give a
cardioid pattern) in use by myself (and a few others) covers
the old "marine" band as shown on the scale as 1.6 MHz
through 4.0 MHz and _not_ the (now) traditional VHF band
(using FM) near 156.8 MHz ("CH 16").

Also it's rx mode is AM. Sorry for the confusion.

I have used it with the ferrite loopstick vertically oriented
(for horz polarization) and reception goes to nil in that case,
so it works out just fine leaving it oriented for incoming
vertical plane waves.

When "inspecting" a noisy pole with the UHF beam I do note
a difference when rotating the beam; this is trivial to perform
but does show that various 'elements in the structure' (wires)
are preferential to the radiation of the RFI 'noise' over others
at the much shorter UHF (450 MHz) wavelengths (a factor of
over 100 'shorter' over the wavelengths of the old "marine"
band.)

The hypothesis (my hypothesis) to the radiation of power
line noise (___for the HF low bands____) is the ground wire
running along the pole does the majority of the "radiating".
Just imagine a T-top vertical antenna; that antenna is a
vertical radiator and the opposite 'currents' in the T-top
wire generate magnetic fields opposite in direction. The
T-top wire is the active phase line(s) involved in the creation
of the noise, and it could also include the neutral wire.

If you've ever seen the demonstration video by N4IS (Jose
Carlos) of the large Waller Flag (works on 160m and 80m)
you will note when he rotates the flag horizontal ALL the
(what sounds like) power line noise __goes away__, leading
one to conclude that the majority (if not all) of the local
low band HF/MW (160m and 80m) 'noise' is vertical in nature.

de AA5CT
.
.     On Sunday, January 12, 2020, 11:12:47 PM CST, K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>