RFI

Re: [RFI] Choke questions

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Choke questions
From: donovanf@starpower.net
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 15:05:27 -0500 (EST)
We're not discussing a choke operating at very high frequencies,
we discussing its performance at 1.8 or 3.5 MHz. At these frequencies,
a few feet of 50 ohm transmission line such as RG-142 or RG-400
connected to the end of a 75 ohm line has a tiny -- nearly immeasurable --
effect.

Using this on-line transmission line calculator:
www.iz2uuf.net/wp/index.php/transmission-lines-calculator

Two feet of RG-142 connected to a 75 ohm load has an input impedance
of 75 -2j ohms at 1.8 MHz and 74.8 - 4J at 3.5 MHz. It would be very
difficult to measure such a tiny impedance transformation, much less
trying to measure its insignificant affect on the performance of a
4-square array.

Even a four foot length of RG-142 transforms the impedance to only
74.8 - 4j ohms at 1.8 MHz and 73.9 -7.5j at 3.5 MHz

73
Frank
W3LPL