RFI

Re: [RFI] AM Broadcast Intermod?

To: RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>, N4ZR <n4zr@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] AM Broadcast Intermod?
From: AA5CT via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 17:32:51 +0000 (UTC)
 Pete,

What does 10 dB of attenuation do? Does it seem to add more than 10 dB of
attenuation to the offending intermod?

If so, the problem resides in the front end of the receiver.

73, de AA5CT Jim

     On Tuesday, January 28, 2020, 11:06:10 AM CST, N4ZR <n4zr@comcast.net>
wrote:

 I'm embarrassed to admit that I had overlooked a noise-maker in my
shack, my 1 TB USB disk drive.  I cleaned that up with a few turns of
the DC power cable around a type 31 toroid, and now I've uncovered
something under it.  It's a wideband signal (tuning makes no
difference), but sounds very much like a badly distorted broadcast station.

Just on a hunch, I tried tuning across the AM broadcast band, and found
a loud AM sports radio station on 1570 KHz that appears to be
broadcasting the same content - pauses, pitch of voices, etc. all seem
to match..  Unfortunately, just before I could get set up to record, the
voices on 160 suddenly went away.  I'm assuming they'll be back, and
while I wait to get a recording I'm wondering:

*  Does this sound like intermod, or some other phenomenon?

* Is it the result of something wrong at the station?

* If so, how best to approach them about it?

--
73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network