RFI

Re: [Amps] [RFI] Amp causing RFI

To: donovanf@starpower.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] [RFI] Amp causing RFI
From: Mark Schoonover <mark@ka6wke.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2020 19:24:57 -0800
Frank and all,

Thanks for the example and I understand why it's a huge safety issue. My
Astron has a ground lug on the back and that's connected to the station
ground. It's still grounded to the AC ground for the house. In any case
though, I think Jim K9YC is probably correct. I went back through my
station log when I started making changes to remedy my RFI. Lifting the
ground did help a lot but that was before I updated all the bonding to my
equipment out to the ground rod. That alone could have reduced RFI. I won't
know for sure because I'm not going to undo all the ferrite I've put on all
the cables to my equipment to test a single change! :)

Thanks to all that helped with my situation. Have G&B book on Kindle and
going through it. I've removed the grounding section from my RFI video too.

73! Mark KA6WKE

Latest Video: https://ka6wke.net/gmail
Website: https://www.ka6wke.net

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 9:59 PM <donovanf@starpower.net> wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> You misunderstand how short circuits to ground trip a circuit breaker.
> Lets examine just a simple case.
>
> Lets suppose you cut the ground wire in the AC power cord connecting
> your DC power supply to your AC power outlet.  If a short circuit
> develops from the hot side of the AC power line to the metal case of
> your power supply -- perhaps a short circuit in a power transformer or a
> short circuited capacitor -- the metal case of the power supply is now
> energized at 125 volts AC.  Death could result.
>
> Now if the ground wire had not been cut, the ground wire provides
> a path back to the neutral wire in your circuit breaker box.  The same
> short circuit condition I described in the paragraph above will trip
> the circuit breaker.
>
> 73
> Frank
> W3LPL
>
> ------------------------------

>>> DANGER
>>> DANGER
>>>
>>> Mark's advice should not be copied by anyone who respects their lives
>>> and the lives of anyone living in or visiting their shack or home.
>>>
>>> The ground wire in AC wiring provides a low resistance path back
>>> to the circuit breaker through a low resistance wire normally carrying
>>> very low current.  Cutting the third wire significantly degrades the
>>> performance and reliability of the circuit breaker protecting electrical
>>> equipment on that branch circuit.
>>>
>>> I have never encountered an RFI related problem that traces back
>>> to the ground wire in an AC power cord.   In the very unlikely event
>>> that you actually need to break this path, the only safe approach is
>>> an AC isolation transformer.  This approach is sometimes needed in
>>> very large industrial facilities where low level signals are interconnect
>>> equipment racks separated by hundreds of feet.
>>>
>>> 73
>>> Frank