RFI

[RFI] Video Evidence of SolarEdge RFI

To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Video Evidence of SolarEdge RFI
From: Tony <dxdx@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 21:14:54 -0500
All:

I produced a video that might interest the group. It proves that the RFI I've been experiencing since 2016 is in fact emanating from a neighbors SolarEdge solar panel system.

My neighbor gave me permission to enter his home and record the noise coming from the solar panel system with an SDR while simultaneously recording the noise at my home station with another SDR.

As expected, the spectral images recorded while probing the solar inverter and optimizers matched perfectly with the spectral images recorded at my home station.

As you'll see in the video, the noise emanating from both the inverter and optimizers was also being conducted onto the A/C wiring throughout the house. It's was flowing through the A/C wiring via the ground wire and A/C connections that connect the inverter to the main breaker panel.

After seeing the video, SolarEdge has offered to replace the inverter with a new unit. Unfortunately, that's not likely to cure the problem unless they apply chokes at the inverter to stop the noise from conducting onto the A/C wiring.

Tony Brock-Fisher points this out in his QST article.

I'll keep the group posted.

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9awWs4mwC4

Tony -K2MO