RFI

Re: [RFI] advice wanted: finding the source of mixing products

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] advice wanted: finding the source of mixing products
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 13:15:31 -0800
On 2/24/2020 12:32 PM, Matt NQ6N wrote:
Can you recommend a test procedure I could use to determine how much of
this broadband noise is originating in my transmitter (so that I can
determine whether it is within spec)?

A good start is to study ARRL Lab tests for the rig(s) you're using, paying attention to plots of measured Phase Noise. Some rigs are far cleaner than others. About five years ago, inspired by a list of rigs used at that year's WRTC and complaints about some of them being pretty dirty, and by Rob Sherwood's work on RX performance, I coordinated with ARRL Labs to produce a document with their data for 15 different rigs plotted on the same scale, allowing meaningful comparisons. The report is here.

http://k9yc.com/TXNoise.pdf

Yaesu took the crown for the dirtiest of the higher priced rigs tested, with ICOM a not-too-distant second. Elecraft's was the cleanest, with Kenwood closer to Elecraft than ICOM. All of the el-cheapo JA rigs were dirty. A few months after I leaked a preliminary copy of the report to someone who I suspected would pass it along to Yaesu, the company issued a firmware update that significantly improved it's CW bandwidth, bringing the rigs to which it applied roughly in line with ICOM.

At the time of my work, it would be a year or two before the excellent Flex 6500-6700 rigs were tested, and when test results were published, their keying was quite broad. Within a year, new firmware cleaned it up a lot, putting the radios in a class with Elecraft for CW bandwidth.

Nowadays, pretty good spectrum analyzers are available to any ham with the technical skills to know how to use them. Some are listed beginning with slide #31 in this deck.

http://k9yc.com/KillingRXNoiseVisalia.pdf

In general, you'll get decent data if 1) you don't overload the A/D conversion/sampling process; 2) you use display width settings that don't produce aliasing; and 3) your sense antenna is relatively flat in its sensitivity.

As an alternative to #3 input to the analyzer could be obtained from a simple voltage divider across the coax at the transmitter output, with the output resistor being 50 ohms. The resistors used should have flat response vs frequency; modern SMT resistors have that characteristic, and it's pretty easy to solder leads to those of the larger form factors.

73, Jim K9YC