RFI

[RFI] Update on W9RE 160 meter interference from neighbors cable box/pow

To: RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Update on W9RE 160 meter interference from neighbors cable box/power supply.
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2020 18:52:41 -0500
A little over a week ago I posted that we (W9RE & WD8DSB) tracked down RFI
to a neighbors Comcast Cable Box or its associated power supply.  We found
the problem on a Friday, and on the following Monday the homeowner took his
Cable Box and its power supply to the local Comcast facility, and they gave
him a new Cable Box and this solved the 160 meter RFI problem Mike (W9RE)
was having.

The new Cable Box has a built in power supply and its model number is
RNG150N, whereas the old cable box was an RNG100 with an external power
supply part number AD6550LF.

Today Mike (W9RE) took his neighbor a bag of Chocolates to thank them for
their assistance, and Mike then obtained the following information from his
neighbor who's name is Richard.
"Richard said that when he took the offending unit into Comcast they told
him the unit was ~7 years old and needed to be replaced anyway.  They
looked up his account and gave him the new box (picture attached with built
in p/s).  It was all hooked up and I didn’t want to mess things up so I
didn’t get a model number from the back but on the front is RNG 150N cables
were just too short to pull it out.  He said all he had to do was hook it
up, call them with the MAC address and wait for a download process.  He
said it was no problem."

This case is closed, and really glad Comcast was able to instantly provide
new hardware that solved the problem.

73,
Don (wd8dsb), and Mike (W9RE)

.