RFI

Re: [RFI] looking for larger size ferrites

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] looking for larger size ferrites
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 11:19:17 -0700
On 5/4/2020 8:51 AM, Grant Saviers wrote:
Has anybody characterized these as alternatives to Fair-Rite #31?

A major problem with products from ferrite vendors other than Fair-Rite is that their technical data sheets don't come close to providing sufficient information to an engineer trying to use them for anything other than a single pass through the core. I spent more than a year measuring hundreds of samples (that I had to buy) of the two Fair-Rite #31 cores that were useful, selecting cores at the limits of their tolerances, winding and measuring chokes on each of those limits cores, entering data in spreadsheets for each core, and producing winding recommendations on the basis of worst case cores for each band.

#31 material is quite unique, in that it is an MnZn material whose dimensional resonance and circuit resonance combine to provide high bandwidth at HF. It is also rather lossy in that range, which is important for chokes.

Most other materials are NiZn, and are far less lossy, which means higher Q, which means a narrower resonance, which, combined with very broad component tolerances, makes choke designs far less repeatable. THIS is why Fair-Rite #43 and #52 are far less useful at HF.

Last year, seeing G3TXQ's recommendations for chokes on #52, I bought ten cores each from four different industrial distributors that stocked them and repeated the process of selecting limits cores, then winding chokes based on his recommendations. I could not repeat his results, NOT because of measurement error on his part (his setup was excellent), but because of component tolerances.

Others are selling #77 or #78 cores as a solution for HF, but the dimensional resonance of these MnZn is in the AM broadcast band, making them far less useful at MF or HF. Simply put, they are power products for use in low frequency electronics, not for suppression, and the Fair-Rite catalog makes that clear.

73, Jim K9YC