RFI

Re: [RFI] New Astron Switching PS RFI?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] New Astron Switching PS RFI?
From: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 15:46:24 -0500
I've been using a Samlex SEC-1235M for years. I've never detected any RFI from it.

Linear supplies, while they generate no RFI, have a particularly nasty, and common, failure mode. When the series pass transistor shorts, you get 35 V or so coming into your radio. Unless you have a crowbar. And that transistor is under a lot of stress. While it's possible for a switching supply to fail in overvoltage mode, it's not as likely, as the components which could cause that to happen are not under stress. If the switching device shorts, the output goes to zero. A fuse may blow, but it won't fry your radio.

73,
Scott K9MA