RFI

Re: [RFI] LED RFI solved

To: Henk Remijn PA5KT <pa5kt@remijn.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] LED RFI solved
From: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 16:02:08 +0000
The present state of affairs at FCC is to ignore Part 15 with the possible
exception of intentional radiators like WiFi, Zigbee,....  Please have a
read of my QRZ page (WØLEV), especially the last and somewhat long
paragraph.

The FCC requires only radiated and conducted emissions.  The EU requires
both radiated AND immunity testing to a number of real-world environments.
Remember that a good receiver is a good transmitter of energy.  So, it may
pass radiated limits, but not do so well in immunity testing.  As such,
anything that is legitimately tested and passes EU requirements will be
cleaner from an RFI standpoint.

However, and a *huge* 'however', if it is from China, labels are applied
with no attention to RFI, legally required limits, or legally specified
testing at an accredited lab to stand behind the labels.  Unfortunately,
China has set that precedent and a number of large corporations that should
know better within the US weigh their exposure to getting caught, and
choose to join the 'Chinese Way:  With Love, from China.   I've worked in
the field of RFI / EMC for some 30+ years and have seen it all from
rigorous enforcement to ignoring Part 15.

Dave - WØLEV

On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 11:44 AM Henk Remijn PA5KT via RFI <
rfi@contesting.com> wrote:

> Also in EU we have a lot of lousy PS's, with and without CE or other
> markings.
>
> 73 Henk PA5KT
>
> Op 22-8-2020 om 22:42 schreef Bill Steffey NY9H:
> > I looked at their website at many of their power supplies.
> >
> > While they all have FCC ...non have EU.     The Meanwells have EU.  I
> > think the EU standard is either much cleaner spec OR it is enforced,
> > while the fcc spec is probably ignored.  Had same issue with under
> > cabinet kitchen lighting and solution was a Meanwell supply that had
> > EU ( I think they all do). Hanley  might not bother with the EU market.
> >

> > bill
> >
> > On 8/22/2020 3:24 PM, Michael Aust via RFI wrote:
> >> Great video MikeWB6DJI
> >>
> >> Sent from AOL Mobile Mail
> >> Get the new AOL app: mail.mobile.aol.com
> >>   On Saturday, August 22, 2020, Jim
> >> Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Thanks for posting, Steve. In today's world, a large fraction of RF
> >> noise is electronic noise, NOT power line noise. My tutorial app note
> >> addresses this, how to tell the difference, how to chase both types of
> >> sources. The two links cover the same material, but the second, slides
> >> for a talk, is newer and includes more graphics.
> >>
> >> http://k9yc.com/KillingReceiveNoise.pdf
> >> http://k9yc.com/KillingRXNoiseVisalia.pdf
> >>
> >> 73, Jim K9YC

*Dave - WØLEV*