RFI

Re: [RFI] Covering Solar Panels To Assess RFI

To: Tony Brock-Fisher <barockteer@aol.com>, Tony <dxdx@optonline.net>, Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>, "Gruber, Mike W1MG" <mgruber@arrl.org>, "Cianciolo, Paul, W1VLF" <pcianciolo@arrl.org>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Covering Solar Panels To Assess RFI
From: "Hare, Ed W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2020 15:50:09 +0000
This could be misleading. In the unlikely event that the panels themselves are
generating noise, disconnecting them from the optimizers would remove them from
a large length of common-mode radiator.  The only noise I could remotely
imagine coming from a panel would be white noise, shaped by resonances in the
wiring doing the radiating.  They are diodes, although ones generating voltage,
so they could be diode noise generators.  Having said that, though, the level
of noise that comes from a diode designed to generate noise is very low, so I
am having trouble believing that the panels' diodes could generate noise that
would be radiated at a level strong enough to cause harmful interference.  I am
willing to be proven wrong, but my first instincts would be to look elsewhere.
And if panels were generating noise, a simple capacitor across the output
wiring should tame it down.