RFI

Re: [RFI] Soliciting Help From Certified RF Engineer

To: Tony <dxdx@optonline.net>, Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>, Tony Brock-Fisher <barockteer@aol.com>, "Cianciolo, Paul, W1VLF" <pcianciolo@arrl.org>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Soliciting Help From Certified RF Engineer
From: "Hare, Ed W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2020 14:45:43 +0000
You can do this, Tony, but it could be counterproductive.  Under Part 15 rules,
there are no specific emissions limits for radiated emissions for unintentional
emitters below 30 MHz.  All indications are that they comply with the conducted
emissions limits that do apply.  There are separate emissions limits for
intentional emitters, including carrier-current devices such as broadband over
power-line devices.  The limits for intentional emitters do include radiated
emissions limits  below 30 MHz.  Those limits are, however, approximately 30 dB
higher than the (unregulated) radiated emissions that typically occur from
legal conducted emissions.  In our experience with BPL, those "legal"
carrier-current emissions were typically about S9+10 dB or so to mobile units
on the roads and nearby amateurs with effective outdoor antennas.  If you get
those measurements made, you can probably extrapolate from the S9+10 to your
own noise level in the AM mode to estimate how far below any radiated e
 missions limit that applies to other types of devices their noise is.  Once
this escalates to the level you are suggesting here, this may well get turned
over to their attorneys who will quickly figure out that the report does not
show any violations of emissions limits in any way.

Solar Edge is scheduled to install a replacement inverter at W1VLF and it
remains to be seen what impact that will have on noise levels.  That could or
could not be a game changer, so I really hope that nothing short circuits that
process.  It could well be that Solar Edge has provided all of the solutions
they have at this time, but they are also working with Paul on possible
improvements.  We will know when that is done how many dB improvement to expect
from what could be a new EMC solution.

Engineers qualified to make those measurements using calibrated equipment are
typically going to charging about $100 per hour, including travel time, plus
the same amount to write up a comprehensive report of their measurements.

Ed Hare, W1RFI
ARRL Lab