RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI - A Losing Battle

To: Jim McCook <w6ya@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI - A Losing Battle
From: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2020 03:15:34 +0000
 Jim W6YA, you are so correct.  Us EMC/RFI engineers are only small voices
in a huge forest of lawyers.  And China has taught industry that cheating
is OK and you're likely not going to be caught.  The FCC has morphed into
nothing more than a collection of high-paid lawyers who have absolutely no
idea what RF is or isn't.   Even OET is a voice in the wilderness at
present.  And, yes, Part 15 is ignored by the very agency  that wrote it.
Read my write-up on QRZ, W0LEV.  I've been at this for over 35 years and
have seen the noise floor in cities sitting at the 'green end' of an HP
8566 with preamp increase some 30 to 50 dB.  This is what Part 15 was
created and updated to prevent.  It's due to lack of bite from the agency
who is supposed to care and wrote the rules:  the FCC or, if you will, CFR
47 of our federal codes.  At least the FAA took note when BPL interferred
with aircraft guidance and comm.  Maybe they should be the agency
responsible for this duty that is/was supposed to belong to FCC.  Yes,
we're fighting a losing battle and we will lose.

Dave - WØLEV

On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 2:55 AM Jim McCook <w6ya@cox.net> wrote:

> There is a lot here that doesn’t make any sense to me.It appears to be a
> fantasy that there is a FCC regulation to prevent harmful interference
> to licensed radio communication.Interference is interference.S-7 noise
> is harmful when the signal interfered with is S-6.If the signal is S-3
> and the offending noise is S-4, it is exactly the same situation.All
> these special rules for different devices, incidental radiators,
> unintentional radiators, intentional radiators, ad nauseam, concern
> devices that need NOT cause interference above or below 30 MHz _if
> properly designed_.We all know “FCC Compliance” is a joke where lobbying
> and politics rule.   It appears on a label that may have come from a
> roll of labels printed in China and slapped onto electronic garbage that
> indeed causes RFI.The switching power supply for my K3 sits inches from
> the radio._It creates NO RFI_.
>
> Government (FCC) is supposed to be working FOR US, but what really
> happens is that FCC obviously has abandoned Part 15.3 (n) when it comes
> to Amateur Radio.Ed and Paul at ARRL make a huge effort to help hams by
> picking up the void left by FCC that has placed ridiculous limits
> allowing interference to occur unless that interference reaches a
> certain arbitrarily determined signal level, never mind that it DOES
> cause interference to amateur radio. This responsibility should NOT be
> on the shoulders of ARRL.  It is a HUGE burden.
>
> A different agency consisting of _engineers and enforcement_ is needed
> to replace FCC that can properly deal with amateur radio interference.It
> should be funded by our tax money that is being thrown away on many
> foolish, wasteful political agencies.Until this happens we will continue
> to slowly lose our HF spectrum due to rapidly increasing sources of
> devastating RFI.We are rapidly losing this battle.
>
> Jim W6YA

*Dave - WØLEV*
*Just Let Darwin Work*