RFI

Re: [RFI] Sound Card

To: Joe <nss@mwt.net>, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Sound Card
From: Cortland Richmond <ka5s@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 02:59:39 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
Some decades ago, when I was testing computers, accessories, and third-party
line cards at Tandy, I discovered that some of them  transferred digital noise
from inside directly out onto external devices, or made their own; a few
monitors screamed like a banshee because the CRT return for video was a just
one wire from the CRT 's iron mask to the video driver,  and a  television line
card tuner, while quiet enough when it was displaying a TV signal on a
store-brand monitor, was itself noisier than a brass band on steroids when it
wasn't delivering video of its own. THAT, thank goodness, isn't a problem now.
But you can never be sure.

Broadcast studio devices can cost quite a bit more than cheap Chinese ones but
we should remember what Julius Caesar said about buying things at the
neighborhood Coliseum:  "Caveat Emptor", or the like.  Back in the days when we
could try things out in the store, I would carry a wideband scanner or 2m – 440
handy talkie with similar HF-VHF coverage or more, and test what I bought
before I took it home.

Cortland