RFI

Re: [RFI] NEW KITCHENAID REFRIGERATOR / FREEZER

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] NEW KITCHENAID REFRIGERATOR / FREEZER
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2020 20:41:03 -0700
There's some un-necessary reinvention of the wheel here, as well as some blank spots in how motors work, including those in refrigerators.

Two of the most important pieces of test equipment are clamp-on AC ammeter and current probe, and a short AC jumper with the outer jacket stripped for a foot or so to allow the ammeter to be clamped around one conductor at a time. The current probe hooked up to a scope lets us study the waveform. Even the very useful Kill-A-Watt tester provides a LOT of information about what's happening on Phase and Neutral.

Using any of these devices to monitor current when the fridge is first plugged in, then a minute or two later, would quickly reveal that the motor draws a lot of current to start the motor, not a lot after that.

As to the choke -- there's a LOT of practical info on my website based on long term study of common mode chokes for the MF, HF, and even VHF bands, combined with many hundreds of hours in the lab measuring practical chokes. The most detailed data is for TX chokes; there's also data for chokes for RX antennas for the lower ham bands. The TX choke data can serve as a starting point for power line chokes using comparable sized cable; there's also a long tutorial app note about identifying the sources and killing the sort of noise you've encountered here.

And there's a tutorial on how ferrite common mode chokes work. First published in 2007, it's had millions of downloads. k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

One important principle -- it's NOT inductance that does the work, it's the RESISTANCE at the parallel resonance of the choke. Study the data sheet for Fair-Rite parts designed for suppression at VHF -- they show the parallel resonance for 1, 2, and 3 turns. When I did research for an AES paper on suppressing RFI to audio systems that I published in 2005, I found concepts in app notes from the '50s that made it clear they knew about this then. And US Army labs knew about it in the '70s -- after an EE supervisor from CIA heard me present these concepts at Pacificon c.a. 2010, he sent me a non-classified engineering report making use of exactly the techniques I'd discussed.

73, Jim K9YC