RFI

Re: [RFI] Noisy PC Speakers

To: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>, "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noisy PC Speakers
From: "Hare, Ed W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2020 18:56:12 +0000
Well, I could have used the common-mode filter, which we'd do to solve an RFI
issue, but it really was interesting to see the conducted noise increase due to
the addition of length to the speaker wires.  I would expect an increase in
radiated noise, but was pretty surprised at the change in conducted noise.

I was able to do the same thing by adding that counterpoise to the case of a
power supply.  This suggests that grounding a power supply with a wire of
finite length could actually increase its noise.

This should be put out into the standards community, and I am pretty well
positioned to be able to do that.

Ed, W1RFI