RFI

Re: [RFI] solaredge questions

To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] solaredge questions
From: Tony <73guddx@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2020 14:43:09 -0500
David:

In my experience, there are two distinct noises that radiate from the optimizers and inverter which you can see in the video I posted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9awWs4mwC4

The "modulated" traces you see on the spectral display emanate from the DC Optimizers. The steady carriers are caused by the inverter.

We found this to be the case using the process or elimination i.e., shutting down the inverter and covering the solar panels with tarps during daylight hours.

My neighbor has the European model optimizers and his old inverter was recently swapped for a new unit. I have the model numbers on file and will send them to you ASAP.

The RFI characteristics changed slightly with these modifications, but the overall strength of the interference has not changed. The RF chokes installed on the DC side a few years back help somewhat but the noise is still S-9 or better.

Tony -K2MO