RFI

[RFI] Internet Switch RFI

To: RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Internet Switch RFI
From: Jim McCook <w6ya@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 23:15:15 +0000
I know internet switches have been discussed a couple of years back, but I found no help in the archives.

A new S-9 RFI noise just appeared on 3.513 KHz as the center frequency.  It's a hump about 14 KHz wide.  I tracked it to a neighbor's house 180ft away.  It's a new internet switch that she just bought from Amazon: Aumox SG518P 18 port Gigabit Network Unmanaged Switch, 16 Port POE with 2 Uplink Gigabit Ports, 250w. It also generates signals from 160 through 40m at 143 KHz intervals, but the only one that concerns me is the one centered at 3.513.  She uses 13 of the ports for many different functions around her house.  It does NOT have a separate power supply!  It is unrealistic to think of putting toroids on all those cables and the AC line.  Her cables are too short to do that without splicing new sections with toroids on each one.  I know NOTHING about these switches.  Does anyone have experience with one using this many ports that either has a separate power supply or does not generate RFI?  This is a very nice neighbor and I will not just tell her to fix it.  I'd hope she can return it and get one that is RFI proof.  Covid access is a problem.  73, Jim W6YA