RFI

Re: [RFI] QUESTION

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] QUESTION
From: donovanf@erols.com
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 16:53:34 -0500 (EST)
Hi Gary,

The process for identifying this type of RFI is the same as for any other RFI,
except you need to use your transmitter to excite the RFI generating source.

First verify that the RFI is not coming from your own home

- kill all of the circuit breakers in your home and power up ONLY
your transmitter. All accessories should be DISCONNECTED from
AC power. You may need to use your amplifier to produce
enough RF to trigger raspy harmonics from RFI generating source.

- Put your transmitter on the air, keying it from a memory keyer
is a good approach

- if the raspy harmonics have gone away, start turning on the
circuit breakers in your home, one by one, until the raspy harmonics
reappear.

If you determine that the RFI is not being generated in your own home,
turn your directive antenna in the direction that produces the strongest
raspy harmonics. A sensitive spectrum display such as the Elecraft P3
helps immensely.

Then use a portable receiver to hunt for the RFI source along the line
of bearing identified by the previous step.

Good luck

73
Frank
W3LPL