RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI Emissions Standards for LED Drivers / Switching PS.

To: "jim@audiosystemsgroup.com" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI Emissions Standards for LED Drivers / Switching PS.
From: Bob Turner <n2scj-lists@outlook.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 16:28:42 +0000
The SMPS  will have 10w of its 15w capacity in use if I continue to move along
with this project.   This is to replace a noisy SMPS inside a LED light housing
with a LED / external PS combination.  The load cables will be long in
comparison this time.  The load cables from the noisy LED are maybe two inches
long and inside a metal housing.  The new load cables will be about two feet
long.  I have run the SMPS with the LED and that was the test before that
yielded no noise.   This time the LED load lines will be about 2 feet long.
Come to think of it the noisy SMPS/LED fixture is mounted on a horizontal metal
brace that probably makes a good antenna.   This time there will be no metal
brace as I'm setting up new light in a different spot and attaching to wood.
Perhaps all I had to do is move the light off of the metal support/antenna, but
it's easier to setup a new one first and dismantle the old once new works.

Forget about me testing in a quiet RF environment.  I live in suburbia where
the nearest house is about 15 feet away.  I have tracked down a noisy DeWalt
charger on that property before.    I'll be satisfied if my noise generator
SMPS noise is buried below the ambient noise.  As it is now, my existing noisy
LED cannot be missed.  It takes a noise floor of 2-4 S units up to 10 over S9.
I'm glad it's my noise source as I can turn it off.

7 3  Bob
N2SCJ