RFI

[RFI] Pole mounted lightning arresters?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Pole mounted lightning arresters?
From: Charles Plunk <af4o@twc.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 13:20:29 -0600
Long Story but will try to keep it to my point. I have triangulated my power line arc to a pole. Fairly typical 3 phase old residential but busy pole. Insulators, disconnects, lightning arresters, a transformer, etc. Pole is a junction as the 3 phase goes off in 3 directions from that pole. Arc is not affected by rain. And I cannot hear it with my ultrasonic dish. In the past I have pinpointed bad hardware on other poles with the dish.

I suspect the lightning arresters. There are 3 on there, one for each phase and I assume very little way I could tell which one. Rural utility, knows little about and/or is not concerned about arc rfi other than past dealings with me and TVA (power distributor who does have rfi location capabilities but is rather difficult to get them out to do).

And now the arc is intermittent. Today its pulsing about every second. Next week it may get solid for a while or go away entirely. And of course if TVA comes out, it will be gone.

What hardware, other than lightning arresters (arcing internally) would not be affected by rain and I could not hear with the dish?

Would it be reasonable enough to ask the util to replace the lightning arresters before bugging TVA?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
Chuck
AF4O