RFI

Re: [RFI] New Interference at kk0sd

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] New Interference at kk0sd
From: Gary <gary_mayfield@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 02:49:21 +0000
Point taken Jim,

Thanks and 73,
Joe kk0sd

-----Original Message-----
From: RFI <rfi-bounces+gary_mayfield=hotmail.com@contesting.com> On Behalf Of
Jim Brown
Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2021 1:26 PM
To: rfi@contesting.com

There is a LOT of great advice in this post, but I'll zero in on this one, on
the basis of my professional background in psychoacoustics (the science of how
our brains process what we hear). There's a fundamental property of human
hearing behind the success of what Ed describes. Human hearing is FAR more able
to hear differences in the loudness of one sound compared to the other when
they are more nearly equal. The two sounds here were the arcing sound and the
broadband circuit noise.

Also, we humans have very poor sensitivity to the loudness of a sound.
It takes a change of 6-10 dB for us to perceive a sound as twice as loud (or
half as loud), but a change of only 1-2 dB in the strength of a signal that is
very close to the noise level can be the difference copy or no copy. And when I
was recording mixing live sound for a jazz band, I rarely needed to move faders
more than a dB or two once I had the mix "right" musically.

73, Jim K9YC