RFI

Re: [RFI] SOLAR INSTALLATION PROS/CONS

To: Mark Schoonover <mark@ka6wke.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] SOLAR INSTALLATION PROS/CONS
From: Frank <kibbish@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 15:33:03 -0700
The systems engineer at the installation company I used did some research
of his own once I reached out to him, and he said he found more reports of
RFI with single inverter systems than with individual microinverters on
each panel.  And I found some reports on my own that seemed to support that.

But then I also reached out to the ARRL RFI lab to see what they knew.  I
received a reply from Mike Gruber, W1MG, EMC Engineer at ARRL HQ, who said
that they had received multiple reports of RFI from systems with SolarEdge
optimizers, which are inverters that mount at each panel.  He also
mentioned that SolarEdge does not recommend installing their inverters near
a ham station.

I suspect — but don't know for sure — that the Enphase inverters tend to be
quieter because they have to meet the much more rigorous RFI standards of
the EU.  Enphase is a German company.

73,
  Frank N6OI